Finding the cheapest insurance for a car in Arizona can normally be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to make it easier.
There are more efficient ways to buy car insurance and we'll show you the quickest way to price shop coverage for a and get the lowest possible price from both online companies and Peoria agents.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that a large majority of drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted car insurance rates at all. Arizona insurance shoppers could save 50% a year just by comparing rates, but most just don't grasp the benefits if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Shopping around for the most affordable car insurance in Peoria is easy if you know what you're doing. If you have coverage now or just want to reduce your rates, use these money-saving tips to reduce the price you pay without reducing coverage. Drivers just have to know how to compare rates from many companies at once.
Take advantage of these nine discounts
Companies don't necessarily list every discount they offer in a way that's easy to find, so the following is a list of some of the best known as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get better car insurance rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Completing a driver safety class could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Accident Free - Claim-free drivers get the best car insurance rates as compared to bad drivers.
- Multiple Cars - Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being on active duty in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your auto and home insurance and insure them with the same company you could earn a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Multi-line Discount - Some insurance companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Popular car insurance companies and their possible discounts are outlined below.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for business and professional, good student, pay in full, switch companies, and early shopping.
- Esurance offers discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, online quote, Switch & Save, claim free, and renters.
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple autos, passive restraint, defensive driving training, accident-free, anti-theft, and driver's education.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, driver training, daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, and seat belt use.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, multi-policy, EZ pay plan discount, auto/life discount, 55 and retired, and resident student.
Before buying, ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in every state. If you would like to choose from a list of companies that offer discounts in Arizona, follow this link.
Lowering your car insurance rates is surprisingly easy. You just have to take a few minutes to compare rate quotes online from several insurance companies.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Peoria, AZ. To locate cheaper car insurance in Arizona, it's highly recommended you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LS||$824||$412||$69|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,024||$512||$85|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$792||$396||$66|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Ford Edge SEL AWD||$858||$429||$72|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$672||$336||$56|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$812||$406||$68|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$1,276||$638||$106|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,340||$670||$112|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$788||$394||$66|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$772||$386||$64|
|Honda Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$910||$455||$76|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,130||$565||$94|
|Toyota Camry SE||$986||$493||$82|
|Toyota Corolla S||$962||$481||$80|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,090||$545||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Arizona minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in specific location which can modify premium rates greatly.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The example below illustrates the difference between insurance prices for male and female drivers in Peoria. Data assumes no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied on a Nissan Altima Hybrid.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Tickets and at-fault accidents raise rates
The chart below highlights how traffic violations and accidents raise Hyundai Sonata insurance costs for each age group. The premium estimates are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Analysis of deductible levels
The information below demonstrates how deductibles and can affect Honda Accord insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The costs are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When should I talk to an insurance agency?
Many people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! Professional insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. And buying from local insurance agencies is still important in Peoria.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the quote information is emailed to companies in Peoria that provide free Peoria auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare rates from one company in particular, you can always find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a local insurance agency, it helps to know the two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Agents are considered either exclusive or independent. Either type can do a good job, but we need to point out the differences because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Agents in the independent channel do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If premiums increase, they simply move your policy to a different company which makes it simple for you.
When comparing car insurance rates, it's a good idea to get insurance quotes from several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most independent agents also contract with smaller mutual companies which could offer lower prices.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company's prices such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. A lot of people use the same agent mostly because of the prominent brand name and strong financial ratings.
Deciding on an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Does their agency support local causes in Peoria?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Peoria?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Peoria?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
Three reasons to not skimp on insurance
Despite the high insurance cost in Peoria, buying insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Arizona these limits are 15/30/10 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will force you to have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. An average driver in America is wasting up to $825 a year so it's very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Car insurance coverage specifics
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Medical costs insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for expenses such as funeral costs, nursing services, surgery, hospital visits and X-ray expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
This will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things such as damaging your car on a curb, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It's also possible to choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability car insurance
This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 15/30/10 which stand for $15,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for things like pain and suffering, funeral expenses and court costs. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Arizona state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/10 but drivers should carry more coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a deer, falling objects and vandalism. The maximum payout a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle's value it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/10), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy's liability coverage.
Compare auto insurance rates regularly to save
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions, being labeled a high risk driver or even policy non-renewal. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching companies is less work than it seems.
When buying insurance coverage, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.
In this article, we covered a lot of tips how to lower your auto insurance premium rates in Peoria. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest premium rates are with a small mutual company.
For more information, feel free to visit these articles:
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)