Frustrated by the wide range of auto insurance providers available to you? Arizona consumers have so many choices that it can quickly become a difficult challenge to compare prices on auto insurance. If you live there, you know that Flagstaff is a great place to live, but paying high auto insurance rates can make it hard for many drivers to be able to afford adequate coverage.
Unbelievably, nearly 70% of consumers have remained with the same auto insurance company for at least the last four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. With the average premium in Arizona being $1,578, drivers could save about $700 each year, but they just feel it's too hard to shop their coverage around.
Car insurance providers offering affordable price quotes in Arizona
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Arizona. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Arizona, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,082||$541||$90|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$792||$396||$66|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$1,112||$556||$93|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$604||$302||$50|
|Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Super Cab 4WD||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,108||$554||$92|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,406||$703||$117|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$798||$399||$67|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$820||$410||$68|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$768||$384||$64|
|Hyundai Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$886||$443||$74|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,190||$595||$99|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,374||$687||$115|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$842||$421||$70|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Arizona minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific Flagstaff garaging location which can revise rates considerably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The example below shows the difference between Kia Optima premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The premiums assume no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, married female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule to delete comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Kia Optima replacement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $600 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not recommended. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
Earn discounts on Flagstaff auto insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize every possible discount very well, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find auto insurance savings.
- Safe Driver Discounts - Accident-free drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt may be able to save a few bucks on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- New Car Discount - Insuring a vehicle that is new can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Theft Prevention System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course - Passing a class that teaches defensive driving techniques is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Full Payment Discount - By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Flagstaff car insurance depending on your company.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers that enable their auto insurance company to scrutinize where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn't quite work that way.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these discounts possibly include:
When quoting, ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in Flagstaff. To find auto insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Flagstaff, follow this link.
Why your premium might be higher
Many different elements are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
Annual mileage impacts costs - Driving a lot of miles in a year's time the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies price each vehicle's coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your vehicle rating shows how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money.
Where you call home plays a part - Being located in less populated areas can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densely populated areas tend to have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. More time on the road means more chance of being in an accident.
Cheaper rates for being claim-free - If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in Arizona award better rates to drivers who are claim-free. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
High credit score translates to low rates - Having a bad credit rating can be an important factor in determining what you pay for insurance. If your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could pay less to insure your vehicle if you clean up your credit. Consumers who have good credit tend to be more responsible than drivers who have lower ratings.
More performance means higher costs - The make and model of the car you need to insure makes a substantial difference in your premium level. The cheapest rates are usually found on lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Get cheaper costs after the wedding - Having a wife or husband helps lower the price on your insurance bill. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are more stable financially and it's proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When quoting and choosing your policy for your vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won't apply. For instance, these questions might point out if you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
The auto insurance bait and switch
Auto insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm regularly use ads in print and on television. All the companies make an identical promise that you'll save big just by switching to them. How do they all lower your car insurance rates?
Most companies give the cheapest rates for a prospective insured that earns them a profit. For example, a profitable risk profile may need to be between the ages of 30 and 50, has other policies, and has a short commute. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will get very good Flagstaff rates and will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Insureds who are not a match for these criteria will be charged higher rates which translates to the customer buying from a different company. The ads state "drivers that switch" not "everybody who quotes" will save that much if they switch. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. Each company has different criteria, so you absolutely need to get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to guess the company that will be your best fit.
More effort can pay off
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to save on insurance in Flagstaff. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Flagstaff car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
When searching for low cost Flagstaff car insurance quotes, never reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn't have enough coverage. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Even more information can be read in these articles:
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Teenage Males in Arizona? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Arizona Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with Good Credit in Arizona? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Casas Adobes, Arizona? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Arizona Car Insurance Quotes for Good Students? (FAQ)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)