Searching for better insurance prices for your car in Arizona can normally be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to find lower rates.
There are more efficient ways to buy car insurance so we're going to tell you the quickest way to get price quotes for a new or used and find the best price possible from both online companies and Maricopa agents.
It's a great practice to get comparison quotes before your policy renews since rates change frequently. Just because you found the lowest premium rates on car insurance a couple years back a different company probably has better prices today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because we're going to demonstrate the proper way to buy cheaper car insurance.
How to lower your car insurance cost in Maricopa, AZ
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Arizona. To find cheap car insurance in Arizona, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,194||$597||$100|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$872||$436||$73|
|Dodge Grand Caravan CV||$1,086||$543||$91|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$1,202||$601||$100|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$760||$380||$63|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$676||$338||$56|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$910||$455||$76|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,004||$502||$84|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,036||$518||$86|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,044||$522||$87|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$884||$442||$74|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD 4-Dr||$954||$477||$80|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 4-Dr Sedan||$1,006||$503||$84|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$828||$414||$69|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,076||$538||$90|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,008||$504||$84|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Arizona minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Information does not factor in your specific Maricopa location which can increase or decrease price quotes substantially.
The diagram below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Ford Escape insurance costs for each age group. The data assumes a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need to buy auto insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Maricopa, insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Arizona these limits are 15/30/10 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most lenders will force you to buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It will also pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. Unknowingly, the average driver is wasting up to $750 every year so it's recommended you shop around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Get more affordable auto insurance with these tips
It's important that you understand some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you know what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get big savings. Multiple criteria are considered when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although others are less obvious like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by insurance companies to determine your rate level.
Do you need those extra policy coverages? - There are quite a few additional extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying auto insurance. Things like replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. They may seem good at first, but if you don't need them remove them and pocket the money.
Lower performance equals lower insurance costs - The performance of the car you are insuring makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The lowest performance passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
How your age affects costs - Young drivers in Arizona are statistically shown to be inattentive when behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
Does your employer cost you more? - Occupational choices like military personnel, business owners and medical professionals generally have higher rates than average because of high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as actors, historians and performers have lower than average premiums.
Your address can push rates up or down - Choosing to live in a rural area is a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. Residents of big cities have more traffic problems and more severe claims. Lower population means reduced accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Save money with alarm systems - Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Advanced theft deterrents like GM's OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping car theft and help bring rates down.
Better drivers pay the best prices - Careful drivers receive lower rates than bad drivers. Just one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal substantially. Drivers who have severe citations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to complete a SR-22 with their state's licensing department in order to legally drive.
Cars with good safety ratings lower rates - Vehicles that have high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety protect occupants better and lower injury rates means less claims paid passed on to you as lower rates. If your car earned at least an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
Cheaper Maricopa auto insurance quotes with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be available discounts that can help lower your rates. A few discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but a few must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Student Discounts - A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Paperless Signup - A handful of companies will give a small break for completing your application on their website.
- Employee of Federal Government - Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with some auto insurance companies.
- Early Signing - A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. You could save around 10% when you buy Maricopa car insurance online.
- Claim Free - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
As a sidenote, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
Auto insurance companies that possibly offer most of these discounts possibly include:
If you need affordable Maricopa car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. Discounts may not apply in Maricopa.
Get rate quotes but still have a local Maricopa insurance agency
Some people would rather go talk to an agent and that is just fine! Agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local agents is definitely important in Maricopa.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your information gets sent to participating agents in Maricopa who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific company, you can always jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Two different types of car insurance agents
When searching for a local insurance agency, it helps to know the two types of agencies that you can select. Insurance policy providers are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both write insurance policies, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you can keep the same agent.
If you need cheaper insurance rates, it's recommended you include at least one independent agent in order to compare the most rates. They also have the ability to place coverage with different regional companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Agents of this type generally can only insure with one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are well trained in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Some insured continue to use the same agent primarily because of the brand name rather than low rates.
Picking an insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Maricopa should be willing to answer these questions.
- How many companies do they write for?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Arizona?
Be persistent and save
When getting Maricopa car insurance quotes online, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers or even delays in responding to claim requests. Whatever your reason, switching auto insurance companies is not as hard as you think.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company.
For more information, link through to these articles:
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents in Arizona? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Arizona Car Insurance Rates for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Arizona? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)